[chirp_users] Windows 11

Al Jones
Wed Apr 5 13:39:06 PDT 2023

Nigel, et al, personally it gets to be insulting to me (and others,
probably) when you all come back with "Get a real FTDI" chip.  I've been
around ham radio since I was a teen (more as a SWL) but when I bought my
first cable it was, of course, a counterfeit chip and I needed to
install the older Prolific driver ... I didn't find out anything about
the chips and the drivers till Windows did an update and wiped out the
driver loaded by the company software.
I'd guess that most of the people who are asking "Why doesn't this
work?" already have spent money on a cable and are only now finding that
things aren't as straightforward as it should be ... if they'd bought
the right cable in the fist place.  It's a lot more pleasant experience
to help them solve their problems rather than infer they didn't do their
homework before they even knew there was a problem.