[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-9R Plus - shaky data cable hack

Bernhard Dobmeier
Wed Sep 7 12:59:02 PDT 2022

Hello Chirp Community,

this is Bernhard DB1BD,

i just got CHIRP running to program my new Baofeng UV-9R plus.

I think the mailing list is a good place to give my contribution:

From what i read in the ticket list at the chirp website, some struggle
with rather unreliable data cables when programming Baofeng radios. So
did i. Sometimes the reading or writing cycle ran through, sometimes it
aborted, most of the time it didnt start at all in either direction,
followen by an instant reboot of the radio. Familiar?

Now.. i heard rumors.. from a distant friend.. ;) that if you open the
plug at the radio end of the cable and solder resistors from Ground to
each of the two signal wires, things get a lot more stable. 560k each
might work. Or higher. Lower might be critical in terms of shortcuts.

Disclaimer:

Don´t try this at home. You might ruin your data cable, radio, or even
your computer. Or more.
What i learned, Amateur Radio is an experimental hobby. Take my message
as an inspiration for your own experiments at your own risk, investing
your own knowledge and experience. If you lack the latter two, don´t
try.

So.. sorry for my arrogant sermon. I just don´t know who reads this.
Just make sure you know what you´re doing. Or ask your electronic freak
friend who does know to help you. The trick worked for me but I don´t
take any responisbility for your experiments. But i´ll be happy if i
could help someone.

A few detais on my setup:

CHIRP daily build 20220823 on opensuse Leap 15.3 built from source
(i
give 1 vote for an opensuse RPM!)
Baofeng UV-9R Plus
Original Baofeng Data Cable
(lsusb states "QinHeng Electronics CH340
serial converter")

Cheers and good night from Munich, Germany

Bernhard