[chirp_users] Add-on Modules/Scripts for Chirp ?

Tony Ling
Tue May 17 10:10:46 PDT 2022

Firstly, to clarify, there are two ways a computer can interact with a
radio. Commonly with CHIRP, the payload it written to a device in one
distinct session so that it can be used independently. This is known as
Clone mode. (The term is slightly incorrect as cloning strictly speaking
allows certain radios to write directly from one radio to another without a
PC)
Secondly, there is Live mode in which CHIRP uses a PC to interface with the
radio and steer it in real time, usually over a CI-V or similar port. This
rig control method is the same process as Flrig and some radios will allow
the channel data to be read and manipulated. Live mode in CHIRP imposes
limitations, one being speed, the other being data portability.
I've never run Wine, but I find that Oracle VM Virtualbox works very well
when I reluctantly need to run windoze software.
Tone G7TXU