[chirp_users] Using Chirp question

Ken Hansen
Wed Mar 30 05:43:18 PDT 2022

One of the well-known weaknesses of the Chinese radios like the Baofengs is slow scan speed compared with radios from 'the big three' (Yaesu, Kenwood, and Icom). While CHIRP can make it easy, almost trivial, to keep adding frequencies to your HT, you may find it takes a long time to scan through all those channels.

I now limit the number of frequencies I program into my Chinese radios, and I appreciate the difference. While Chinese radios may scan 3-4 channels/second, a 'big three' radio can scan 10-20x as many channels/second...

Good luck, and welcome to the hobby,

Ken