[chirp_users] 2 Questions from an Old Timer

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
Wed Jun 1 06:14:35 PDT 2022

The radio you mention Baofeng UV-3R HT is listed as a supported radio on
this page:
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

*To get started:*

   1. Download <https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download> CHIRP
   for your platform
   2. Check out the "How_To_Get_Help
   <https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/How_To_Get_Help>" page,
   and the rest of the Documentation
   <https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Documentation>.
   3. Join the mailing list
   <http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users>!
   4. Be sure to review the FAQ
   <https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/FAQ>.

*In case you ran into a problem with CHIRP:*

   1. Before you open a new ticket, you might want to consult the
   documentation. On the right side of this web page, you will find some links
   to the Wiki. It contains good input for many re-occuring issues.
   2. Also, please perform a search through all open and closed issues.
   Maybe someone else had the same problem before, and a solution is already
   available.
   3. If your problem is about how to use CHIRP with an already supported
   radio, then you should ask that question in the mailing list
   <http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users>.
   4. Once you have looked through the Wiki and searched all open/closed
   issues, you can open a new ticket (did you ask on the mailing list?).
   There, you may file a bug report, request a new feature, or request the
   implementation of a new radio. Please be detailed and follow the
   instructions in "How To Report Issues
   <https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/How_To_Report_Issues>".

Download page: https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download
Frequency Asked Questions page:
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/FAQ.

You didn't mention what operating system you are using. The FAQ page
mentions problems with Chinese fake chips used in cables which do not work
without a lot of bother on the users part of uninstalling the Windows
automatically instated driver and using an old driver, saying it's best to
use a FTDI based cable.

The cables page addresses these problems:
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/CableGuide

That page recommends some 3rd party sellers of cables:

There are a few reputable manufacturers of 3rd party cables that are known
to be high-quality in the community. If you're looking for a cable, check
the following:

BlueMax49ers https://bluemax49ers.com/ is a good source of quality cables,
and the owner Mark is a regular supporter of CHIRP. Check out his Software
Advisor tool https://bluemax49ers.com/software-advisor/ which helps you
select software and cables for your radio, operating system, etc.

Valley Enterprises http://www.valley-ent.com/
KAMAMALL
http://stores.ebay.com/KAWAMALL/Radios-/_i.html?_fsub=967717012&_sid=74282382&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
RT Systems https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/