[chirp_users] Linux CHIRP, ICOM 7100, "unicode strings" error

Jim Unroe
Tue Jul 26 18:51:41 PDT 2022

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 4:04 PM Michael Nadler KI7QIB
<michael.nadler at gmail.com> wrote:

> ICOM 7100 connected to Linux system via the mini-USB port.  FLRIG can control the radio through that interface.
>
> Running CHIRP 0.3.0dev, when I try to download from the radio via /dev/ttyUSB0, I get a pop-up error message: unicode strings are not supported, please encode to bytes: <<gibberish characters>>>".
>
> Are there specific settings I need to have set on the ICOM?
>
> Is CHIRP able to interact with the ICOM-7100 via the mini-USB port?  Do I have to use the RT-Systems FTDI cable into the audio port?
>

> P.S. I also tried running Windows CHIRP daily-20220408.  Download from radio gets "error" in every entry.
>

> --
> Michael Nadler
> KI7QIB

I know that when I used CHIRP on my IC-7300, I used a different cable
than I did when I used FLRIG. I also had to edit a setting in the
radio for CHIRP and change it back for FLRIG.