[chirp_users] Installing To Linux

Ken Hansen
Sat Feb 5 20:01:54 PST 2022

The CHIRP 'package' for older Linux doesn't need to be 'installed' - you just run it.

Read this page: https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Running_Under_Linux

Especially note the following:

Manual installation from source
If you are here, you are probably running an old or obscure distribution, or you want to run from source for some other reason (such as testing a daily build). Before you start, make sure that the required python modules are installed on your system. Some suggestions on how to do this are:

Ubuntu/Debian: apt-get install python-gtk python-serial python-libxml2
Fedora/RedHat: yum install pyserial pygtk2 libxml2-python
Next, grab the source tarball from the Download page and save it somewhere like your home directory and then unpack it:

tar xzf chirp-0.1.12.tar.gz
cd chirp-0.1.12
From here, the easiest thing is to just launch CHIRP directly without installing it onto your system. Don't worry, this works just fine and CHIRP will be fully functional. Simply run the following:

./chirpw
Once you've tested that it runs on your system, you may want to install it permanently. To do this, run the setup routine by doing:

sudo python setup.py install
When finished, you should be able to run "chirpw" from anywhere on your system, and (with luck) you'll also have an item in your distribution's applications menu.

So you should just run the chirpw fie in the extracted library.

If you want to 'install' CHIRP, you need to run the setup.py file in the Python interpreter with the install option.

Hope this helps,

Ken, N2VIP