[chirp_users] FT-65 cable - any aftermarket work?

David Ranch
Mon Aug 22 11:57:08 PDT 2022

Last time I checked, RT Systems cables use FTDI USB to Serial chips but
they are programmed with non-standard USB VID:PID to make them
"proprietary".  If you look at http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids and
search for "RT Systems", you can see a short list of some known VID:PID
combinations that Linux will then load the FTDI kernel module and treat
the USB device as a serial port.  For unknown ports, I don't know if you
can fake out Windows to recognize RT System cables as a standard serial
cable but you CAN do this with Linux for ANY VID:VID using either some
USB or UDEV tricks.

I wrote the following up some time ago to either temporarily or
permanently recognize the RT Cable and create a /dev/ft857_prog serial
device instead of a generically named /dev/ttyUSB0 device:

Temporary USB recognition (this example does this for a Timewave
Navigator device):
https://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#2c.kernelnavigatorudev

Permanent USB recognition across reboots (this example is for one of RT
Systems cables for a Yaesu FT857):

https://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#1d.presetup-udevusbserial
    --
          #Device #3 - RT Systems CT-62B 1-port USB to serial adapter
for FT817/857/897 (FTDI-based)
          #
          #NOTE: This adapter is NOT recognized by the Linux kernel as a
valid
          #      serial device.  RT System does this ON PURPOSE so their
programming
          #      software will only work with their cables!  You can
change these IDs
          #      if you wish with
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm#FT_Prog
          #
          #      Alternatively, the following will run a script to poke
the RT Systems
          #      USB IDs into the kernel FTDI driver so it can recognize
the new
          #      device as a serial port.
          #
          BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="2100", SYSFS{idProduct}=="9e56",
ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1", RUN+="/usr/local/sbin/RTSystems-addports.sh &"
          SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2100",
ATTRS{idProduct}=="9e56", SYMLINK+="ft857_prog"
    --

--David
KI6ZHD