[chirp_users] IMG File Request

Jim Unroe
Sun Aug 7 08:15:57 PDT 2022

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 10:39 PM K0LNY_Glenn <glenn at ervin.email> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a bTech UV5X3 and it seems all messed up, that is why I acquired it.
> I can punch in simplex channels, but I cannot input duplex channels by hand.
> Chirp will not read from the radio, and even though it is a tri-band, the
> band button only toggles between 2M and 70Cm.
> I was able to punch in a 1.5 M frequency and it worked on simplex.
> But no matter what I do, Chirp says error reading from radio.
> The cable works with the Baofengs I have.
> Since the radio isn't toggling to the third band, I'm wondering if someone
> flashed it with a UV5R image.
> I'm not sure if it would work to upload to the radio with the proper image
> if I can't download from it first.
> Anyway, if someone has a backed original image of a UV5X3, I would much
> appreciate a copy of it if you would.
> Glenn

The [BAND] button became pretty much obsolete back in late 2012/early
2013 with the introduction of the Baofeng BF-F8+ (not to be confused
with the BF-F8HP which came along in the spring of 2014). Prior to the
BF-F8+ and its new firmware, the user had to select the correct band
prior to entering a frequency into the VFO. If the selected band did
not match the band required by the frequency that was entered, that
frequency would be rejected. You either had to change to a frequency
entered to match the currently selected band or switch to the band
that would match the desired frequency.

Since the BF-F8+ was the first UV-5R like radio designed without a
band button, the firmware was updated to automatically select the
appropriate band based on the first digit entered into the VFO
(1XX.XXX = VHF, 4XX.XXX or 5XX.XXX = UHF). Since this firmware was
used across many similar model variants, even models with a [BAND]
button acquired this capability. For this reason, the UV-82 series
radios have never had a [BAND] button. Just key in the desired STEP
compatible frequency and the correct band is automatically selected.

Since the tri-band BTech UV-5X3 is based on the above-mentioned
dual-band radios, it comes from the factory with memory that stores
and remembers the last used frequency for each of the bands is
populated only with a VHF frequency and a UHF frequency. Since a new
radio has no 220 frequency stored in either VFOs 220 band memory slot
yet, the [BAND] button skips the 220 band's memory slot and only
toggles between the VHF and UHF bands. Once you key in a STEP
compatible 220 band frequency into either VFO (the band will
automatically be selected: 2XX.XXX = 220), the 220 band memory slot
will become populated with a frequency and 220 band will no longer be
skipped when tapping the [BAND] button.