[chirp_users] Setting up baofeng-uv5f with chirp

Al Jones
Wed Apr 20 12:12:35 PDT 2022

I'll be a bit less abrupt than Nigel but the end result is going to be
the same.

The ONLY legal use of the UV5R is by an amateur operator in HAM bands
that they're authorized to use.  While there are a lot of things it can
do, most are not legal and depending on where you are can result in a
really steep fine - just something to consider.

You need to get your terminology straight, Baofeng isn't a channelized
radio - think TV channels.  Operated legally (see above), it will allow
you to select any frequency you (and your neighbor) wish to use. Used as
a GMRS radio (still illegal but many do) you select whichever channel (a
specific frequency) you want to use and go from there.  A GMRS license
is $85 (I think) with no test; a HAM license is "free" except for the
cost of the test itself - about $35(??)

Spare yourself a lot of grief and talk to your local ham club (there's
probably one with 50 miles) about getting licensed and operating with
the club.  It's a lot more fun and maybe you can even convince your
enighbor to do the same so you can chat (chew the airwaves) legally.
//al KG5HEJ