[chirp_users] not understanding the com port.

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
Sat Sep 11 23:22:43 PDT 2021

Tom,

Long list /dev/tty*

$ ls -l /dev/tty*

See what groups the various tty devices belong to.

In Debian, all the tty's belong to the tty group, EXCEPT the /dev/ttyS*.

$ ls -l /dev/ttyS*

Those tty devices belong to the "dialout" group instead, your Fedora might
be the same or different.

See what groups your user is a member of:

$ groups

Your user MUST be a member of the groups that the /dev/tty* and
/dev/dev/ttyS*  belong to.

In my case it is both "tty" and "dialout", yours might be the same or
different, just follow the Fedora procedure to add your user to the needed
groups.

Also check that your user has read and write privledges for the tty you
will use, if not chmod the group of tty's to make that happem.

73

David N1EA