[chirp_users] Can't transmit freqs above 147.975

Nick
Wed Oct 6 09:05:22 PDT 2021

Jim, thanks for your dozens of informative and cutting edge replies.
Many of us would be at a loss without your knowledge. Be well!
K7NQB 73

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com>
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Can't transmit freqs above 147.975
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 08:00:13 -0400

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 12:40 AM Jefrey Johnson <jefjohnson5091 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a UV-5R and I am not able to transmit any vhf freq above 147.975.  I can program in 148.000 but all I get when I try to transmit is "Beep".
>
> I am using CHIRP ver daily-20210930
>
> 1st time user, don't know if I am doing this correctly.  Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jef

You have one of several new models that only transmits within the USA
ham bands: 144-148 MHz and 420-460 MHz. Any frequency outside of those
ranges is RX only. The one sold by Radioddity is called the GT-5R.

https://www.radioddity.com/products/baofeng-gt-5r

As you can see from the Radioddity page, they tend to cost less
($24.99) than the radios that can TX across the whole 130-179 MHz and
400-520 MHz ranges, so many owners mistakenly purchased them to get
the "lowest price".