[chirp_users] Yaesu vx-170

Joseph E. Rouillier III
Wed Mar 31 17:09:16 PDT 2021

All

Thank you for taking your time to look at this issue.  I have a Yaesu
VX-170 that I came across.   Once I got it home I did a reset on the radio
to bring it back to factory defaults.   Next I tried reading the radio from
Chirp, (Download from Radio).   That fails no matter what I try it will not
download the file from the radio.

The radio almost immediately shows error after pressing push to talk seeing
TX.  and then in chirp I see Failed to communicate with radio: Failed to
read header (0)

Attached is the Debug.

Also just for testing I got a VX-170 file from a friend and tried to
download it to the radio also had errors.   As soon as I get the radio into
RX Chip shows a error indicating Radio did not ack block at 0 the radio
screen never shows error it continues to show RX.

See attached Debug.log file.

Note I tested the cable to see if it was the problem borrowed a friends
cable as well, both cables same issue, and both cables successfully program
an FT-60 and my friend is able to read/write his VX-170 with his cable and
my cable and he sees the same errors as I do when trying my radio.

I tested the jack with a speaker mic to make sure the jack seems to be
working correctly, speaker mic work fine can RX and TX.

Finally in desperation I removed the battery and opened the little cover
under the battery and confirmed the radio was modded by someone removing
the 1 0 ohm resistor, and it looks like it only had 1 resistor as the 2nd
upper one looks to clean as if it was never there from the factors.   I
believe the MOD is Expanded RX or TX I do not recall as I've never needed
to perform the mod was aware of it from researching the radio itself.

Thanks for any assistance.  Attaced is the debug file that should contain
both Download and Upload from Radio failures.