[chirp_users] I get an "unknown file format" when importing

Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
Tue Mar 23 05:45:46 PDT 2021

The best way is not to use CSV files at all.

>     On 23/03/2021 02:08 Eric Oyen via chirp_users <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:
>

>     One good way I have found to edit CsV files is to use a spreadsheet program like Microsoft excel or one of the linux free variants. Simply import as a cSV, do your editing, then export back to a CSV file. Compare the original to the new edited version to make sure the same number of commas are in place on the right lines. BTW, I have already tried this on my windows box using excel and a program specifically designed for the Baofeng radio. So, it should work the same way with chirp as both that program and cHIRP should read or write CSV files in the same way.
>
>     DE n7zzt Eric
>

>         > >         On Mar 20, 2021, at 11:39 AM, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com mailto:rock.unroe at gmail.com > wrote:
> >         On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 1:25 PM Steve Vecchiarelli via chirp_users
> >         <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com mailto:chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com > wrote:
> >
> >             > > >             ’m trying to import a csv file into CHIRP to upload back to my radio.
> > >

> > >             Steps I’ve taken:
> > >

> > >             Connected radio to CHIRP and downloaded the memories to CHIRP
> > >             Exported memories to a CSV file
> > >             Added the new frequencies to the CSV file
> > >             Saved CSV and tried to import back to CHIRP bur getting an unknown file format message
> > >

> > >             What am I missing?
> > >

> > >             Thanks for any help!
> > >

> > >             Steve
> > >
> > >             KF0CPV
> > >
> > >         > >         How did you edit the CSV file?
> >         What did you change?
> >         Did you compare the new CSV file to the original file CSV file using a
> >         text editor?
> >         Attach both the before and after CSV files to this conversation so
> >         that they can be reviewed.
> >
> >         The most common cause of trouble is...
> >
> >         - The data format of a cell was changed.
> >         - The number of commas required at the end of a data row was changed.
> >
> >         Jim KC9HI
> >
> >     >
>     _______________________________________________ chirp_users mailing list chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users This message was sent to Nigel Gunn, W8IFF at nigel at ngunn.net To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com

Nigel A. Gunn, ///shoulders.outwards.resolutions   tel +1-937-971-0366
Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF and GMRS WRBV701, e-mail nigel at ngunn.net www http://www.ngunn.net