[chirp_users] How do I ensure that I don't TX on a memory slot? Baofeng UV-5RX3

VA7OTC John Erskine
Wed Jun 23 20:48:38 PDT 2021

On 2021-06-23 14:45, Ken Hansen wrote:
> I wasn't aware of that setting, I had used BCL - busy channel lockout
> previously

snip

> Ken, N2VIP

Interesting hack. Thanks for the idea.

Classically Busy Channel Lock is used if there are multiple users of a
frequency. Typically ones one may not hear due to use of CTCSS/DCS to
only filter for what you'd like.

This needn't always mean different _users_, it can mean different uses.
One example local to me is on one  amateur radio repeater. It's both
analogue FM voice repeater and also Yaesu Fusion (a digital voice mode.)
The analogue FM repeater TX a CTCSS tone that analogue users enable as
Tone Squelch to they needn't listen to the brraaaap of the digital
voice.

One should look at the rig before transmitting in analogue FM as one may
interfere with a conversation/TX in Fusion. That or enable Busy Channel
Lockout.

Another example here are two analogue FM amateur radio repeaters on a
SNP (Shared Non-Protected) frequency pair. They use different tones
(CTCSS) on the input/output. If one only listens to one (doesn't wish to
hear the other) then it's good practise to either look at lights/meters,
or crack the squelch or Monitor button before transmitting. One may also
simply enable Busy Channel Lockout.

Cheers es 73, John