[chirp_users] Two issues...

Kenneth G. Gordon
Wed Jun 2 12:42:57 PDT 2021

1) We are unable to program two supposedly-Baofeng-made hand-helds: A) one labeled
UV-5R5, concerning which I can find almost no information on the web at all. Firmware (by
Button 3) is BFB297. Searching the CHIRP website, I find that that particular firmware is an
issue, and has been reported as a bug from at least 8 years ago. Using the standard UV-5R
choice in CHIRP results in an error message "No response from radio".

And B) one labled UV-5R-V2+. again, we can find no info on how to program this radio other
than a cryptic note which stated that it will not transmit in the 2 meter ham band below 145
MHz., which at this point is of no concern to us.

2) As recently as a day or two ago, I found, somewhere on the web, a very extensive listing of
these sorts of hand-helds and their equivalent and/or re-labeled clones by many makers
including Baofeng. Since that time, I have lost it and can no longer find it. Does anyone here
know what I am talking about and where I might find that list again? I thought I found it
originally on the CHIRP website, but searching there since does not bring it up.

At the time, I saw no need for it, but since then, I find it has become very important to ouir
operations here.

By "we", "our", and "us", I mean myself and a small group of EMCOMMs operators in our
area. I have become the defacto "technical guru" for the group.

Any help out there?

Thanks, and vy 73 for now,

Ken W7EKB