[chirp_users] Chirp no work - on Windows, try Linux if possible

John
Wed Jan 6 04:20:31 PST 2021

This is the third post I have read in the last couple of weeks that
mentions a bug in COM port handling where the COM port number is above
10. I believe this is an straightforward fix.

The problem appear to be in platform.py which generates a list of
available COM ports. It correctly starts by using the '//./' prefix, but
then strips it for display purposes. When it the program then tries to
use a port from the created list that is above COM9, this will fail
because for port above 9 Windows requires the prefix, i.e. //./COM10.
The program needs to retain the '//./' prefix or have two name fields
keeping the display name separate from the system name.

Since I don't know how the program is compiled/packaged into .exe/.dll
files on Windows, I can't actually test my theory at present, however a
quick an dirty fix might be to simply change line 43 in platform.py from:

43             if portname.startswith("\\"):
44                  portname = portname[4:]

to;

43             if (i<10 && portname.startswith("\\")):
44                 portname = portname[4:]

This may not look pretty in the ports list but it might at least make it
functional. I seem to recall from some time ago that ports below 10 must
not have the prefix whereas it is necessary for 10 and above, but it was
a long time ago. The other option might be to simply comment out lines
43 and 44 but that may then fail for ports below 10. Of course since the
Windows version is compiled/packaged, the user is not in a position to
make this change and and test so I am hoping the developers will see
this info.

Regards.

Alexandre Souza wrote on 06/01/2021 01:30:
> Please, when complaining about serial port errors here, put the number
> of your serial port in the message. I BELIEVE there is a bug on serial
> port handling above com10...
>
> Enviado do meu Tele-Movel
>
> Em ter, 5 de jan de 2021 22:24, Mark Dixon <mdixon at dixemail.com
> <mailto:mdixon at dixemail.com>> escreveu:
>
>     Hi Billy
>
>     I find that I can only get Chirp to work with my BaoFeng UV-5REs
>     when I
>     do it with Linux. I get the same as you when I use Windows. It
>     might be
>     the cable (I use the one I got when I bought the UV5REs), or it
>     might be
>     the software, but if you can get access to a Linux you should be okay
>     even with a basic after-market cable.
>
>     Kind regards, Mark Dixon, VK6EZ.
>
>     On 6/01/2021 2:06 am, Billy Joe Higginbotham Jr via chirp_users wrote:
>     > I can’t get my radio to link with my computer. I have the uv-5r
>     and run Windows 7 on my computer. I keep get the message (An error
>     has occurred could not open port [Error 2] The system cannot find
>     the file specified.) It like the Chirp can’t see my radio.
>     >
>     > Sent from Billy’s IPhone

John.