[chirp_users] Connecting To A Kenwood 2000

K0LNY
Mon Dec 13 08:11:50 PST 2021

Hi Folks,
I finally got an antenna outside for my Kenwood that I have in the shack.
There are so many buttons on this radio, and I am a Blind Ham, but even with the speech chip on the Kenwood, it is daunting to learn all of its functions.
I've have already messed it up so bad that I had to do a full reset.
So I thought I'd set it up with Chirp, so I can recover if I mess it up again.
I've used Chirp for my HT radios, so I'm a bit familiar with using Chirp.
I'm working on trying to get an old computer with serial ports working for the shack, but until then I will need to connect to the Kenwood with a laptop that has no serial ports.
I have a USB to serial cable somewhere, but I cannot find it.
I did find a serial to Ethernet cable, and I am wondering if the Chirp software will be able to connect to the Kenwood via the laptop's Ethernet port with this cable.
Seems like all of the Chirp connection options are all serial and one USB.
Thanks for any knowledge.

Glenn