[chirp_users] Debian Chirp Daily

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
Mon Apr 5 13:52:55 PDT 2021

Still working on getting a current version of CHIRP on Debian Stable.

Here's the latest.

flatpak uninstall chirp
Found installed ref ‘app/com.danplanet.chirp/x86_64/master’ (system). Is
this correct?
[Y/n]: y
error: Remote "chirp-origin" not found

I have tried to install (or reinstall) chirp using flatpak and I've been
confused and unfulfilled.

I did find this script on this page
https://piratesinteepees.org/installing-chirp-in-ubuntu-20-04/

#####

#!/bin/bash
#
#
# This script updats chirp flatpak to latest daily build
# Add this to root's crontab for automatic updates
# If run as standard user, you will get a popop asking for admin password
#
#
#Make download folder if doesn't exist
mkdir -p ~/Downloads/ChirpFP
#Move to Download folder
cd ~/Downloads/ChirpFP
#Remove previously downloaded flatpaks
rm *.flatpak
#Pull link from download page and download latest flatpak
wget `lynx -dump https://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/LATEST/ | awk
'/http/{print $2}' | grep flatpak`
#Install the file
flatpak install -y --noninteractive *.flatpak

#####

I tried it, but alas, I still get the cryptic error: Remote "chirp-origin"
not found

I am still confused and lost.

Does anyone know how I can uninstall what seems to be a flatpak
installation on Debian?

If I try to update, I receive this error.

$ flatpak update
Looking for updates…
Unable to update app/com.danplanet.chirp/x86_64/master: Remote
"chirp-origin" not found

Best wishes,
David N1EA

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 7:43 PM D.J.J. Ring, Jr. <n1ea at arrl.net> wrote:

> [...]
> WARNING: python-future package is not available;
> chirp.drivers.anytone778uv requires it
>
> I forget what I just did but whatever I just did, now chirp runs, but it's
> the OLD version:
> CHIRP daily-20201221
>
> Trying to purge both chirp and chirp-daily fail - apt says it's not
> installed.
>
> Ran updatedb as root then, as user:
> locate chirp > ~/chirpfiles
> File attached.
>
> Anyone got a clue how I can get rid of the chirp I have that I can't
> uninstall using apt?
> I don't think I installed it from source, but I may have because I
> couldn't find a deb file to install in Debian, but that would have been
> before January 2021, and I have aging memory capacities these days. My
> md5sum memory brain comes out like: "Peas porridge hot, peas
> porridge cold..." and starts playing Patty Cake.  It's part of life, but
> when you go into the kitchen twice to get a spoon and return twice without
> it, it's embarrassing. Thankfully my cat hasn't caught on yet.
>
> Best wishes,
> David
>

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 7:20 PM W Paul Mills <ac0hy at wpmills.com> wrote:
>
>> That is right, but they conflict. DO NOT INSTALL BOTH. The reason for the
>> error you get is because you have attempted to install both. Just because
>> they are in package manager (from different repositories) does not mean you
>> should install both.
>>
>> The error is telling you that this is the problem.
>>
>> On 3/31/21 5:58 PM, Tony Ling wrote:
>>
>> They appear both on Synaptic Package Manager on my system.
>>
>> On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 23:55, W Paul Mills <ac0hy at wpmills.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The packages chirp & chirp-daily conflict with each other. Uninstall
>>> chirp, then install chirp-daily.
>>>
>>> On 3/31/21 4:13 PM, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
>>>
>>> More info!
>>>
>>> apt install chirp
>>> Reading package lists... Done
>>> Building dependency tree
>>> Reading state information... Done
>>> The following NEW packages will be installed:
>>>   chirp
>>> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>>> Need to get 0 B/474 kB of archives.
>>> After this operation, 3,830 kB of additional disk space will be used.
>>> Selecting previously unselected package chirp.
>>> (Reading database ... 265833 files and directories currently installed.)
>>> Preparing to unpack .../chirp_1%3a20190104-1_amd64.deb ...
>>> Unpacking chirp (1:20190104-1) ...
>>> dpkg: error processing archive
>>> /var/cache/apt/archives/chirp_1%3a20190104-1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
>>>  trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/chirpw', which is also in package
>>> chirp-daily 20210310~xenial~1
>>> dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
>>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>>>  /var/cache/apt/archives/chirp_1%3a20190104-1_amd64.deb
>>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

>>> DR