[chirp_users] Ubuntu 20.04 - followup

KD0YMG - Jed
Sun Sep 13 16:31:00 PDT 2020

Hi. New user there, so I can't reply to the previous thread. I was able to
get chirp running using flatpak, but some things seem funny, or might be
helpful to others.

Sentence wrapping on the message for how to install/setup flatpack caused
me some initial errors. Instructions here:
https://flatpak.org/setup/Ubuntu/

However, it seems that even after doing the remote-add, I have no
repositories.

$ flatpak remotes
Name    Options
flathub system

I assume there should be something listed there. Or maybe that's all there
is - it doesn't show the URL or anything else? A search for "chirp"
returned no results.

So, I ended up just downloading the flatpak file from
https://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/LATEST/

And then installing it from my local storage
flatpak install {download_path}/chirp-daily-20200909.flatpak

When I go to the flathub website and search for chirp, it returns no
results. This matches of course not being able to install directly. A
search for "gimp" does return results, on both the website and the flatpak
command line.

Considering the discussion I've seen on the mailing list archives re.
migration of chirp to Python3, and that I'm fed up with Ubuntu (multiple
reasons), what distro would be a good one to consider for retaining
full Python2 support for a while? Or is this a futile endeavour? (I'm
currently pondering Arch, but might consider Gentoo.)

Thanks to previous posters for getting me back running. One less problem
with Ubuntu for me to bang my head against. :)
--
Jed - KD0YMG - https://irgclub.org/
"... we have done as much with wireless telegraphy as is likely