[chirp_users] Why Isn't Chirp In The Main Repository Of LinuxDistros?

Glenn K0LNY
Thu Oct 8 06:14:19 PDT 2020

Well the example I gave wasn't the point that you seem to have assumed.
Chirp, I suppose can be installed on all Linux versions, and windows as well.
My question is why Chirp, and other softwares for that matter, have their own repository, and not in the main repositories of all Linux distros.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2020 3:14 AM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Why Isn't Chirp In The Main Repository Of LinuxDistros?

CHIRP is in Debian.

Maybe you're using the wrong distribution?

73

DR
N1EA

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020, 00:52 Glenn K0LNY <glennervin at cableone.net> wrote:

  Hi,
  I've added the DanSmith repository enough times now that I can do it without looking for the exact syntax.
  But I keep wondering why Chirp is not in all Linux stable repositories.
  I mean that if I want something like speech-dispatcher, I don't need to add a repository to get it.
  As popular as Chirp is, can't it just be in all Linux repositories?
  Thanks for any info, I have been web searching for an explanation as to why this is in general, but I have only gotten a history of repositories without really explaining an answer to my question.

  Glenn