[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-XR

Jim Unroe
Sun Nov 22 05:03:57 PST 2020

Hi Remi,

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 6:09 AM Remi Kemperman <taxi at mail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> is there anybody who can tell me which model Baofeng is compatible with
> the UV-XR so I can use Chirp?
> Thanks

Almost any of the so-called "waterproof" models supported by CHIRP
would be a possibility.

If it can display channels names with 7 characters (not all can), I
would try GT-3WP or UV-9R
If it can only display channel names with 6 characters, I would try
UV-82WP, BF-A58, WP970I or Retevis RT6

Try a 7 character version first. After the first successful download,
save the newly created tab, unedited, to a CHIRP Radio Images (*.img)
file to be kept in a safe place as a backup.Rename an existing channel
or add a new one and give it a 7 character name (1234567 or ABCDEFG
will work as a test). If the radio displays all 7 characters, you are
all set. If the radio only displays 6 characters, you can either
continue using the 7 character version knowing that the 7th character
won't be displayed or switch to one of the 6 character model
selections that will only let you enter up to 6 characters.