[chirp_users] chirp flatpak (In need of a few brave souls)

Richard Shaw
Wed May 13 10:11:43 PDT 2020

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 10:11 AM Glenn K0LNY <glennervin at cableone.net>
wrote:

> What are the steps now for installing Chirp?
> I mean, will I have to do a bunch of cryptic Linux commands to get it
> installed in the CLI?

Depends on how your distro manages flatpaks. The command line "flatpak
install ..." method is certainly available but at least on Fedora it also
integrates with the Software app IF the flatpak is in a repo.

Currently I'm only providing a standalone file. Additionally I have the
chirp version in the filename which is both a good and bad thing.

I'ts good because you know what version you're installed, it's bad because
you could potentially install multiple versions since they have different
names. I haven't tested this yet.

Short term you can remove the old version before installing the new
version. Medium term I can look at getting it into a public Flatpak repo.

Long term the solution HAS to be to get chirp running on Python 3 / Gtk 3.

Thanks,
Richard