[chirp_users] Chirp will not start in Fedora 31 nor 32 b

Darrell & Sandy
Sun Mar 29 10:03:01 PDT 2020

 But I a not running Linux, I have Windows 10, so how do get rid of the build from my Baofeng?
    On Sunday, March 29, 2020, 01:00:06 AM EDT, Joe Osborne <godzilla49 at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 15:52 Tony Fuller <goldstar611 at hotmail.com> wrote:

I fully believe it is your latter guess, that Fedora 32 is missing python2, but I am not a Fedora user and am not familiar with their packaging. If you search the list archive you will see mails about Fedora (and other distros) removing python2 by default.
I am testing Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa) and although python2 is not installed by default, I can still get it by running apt install python2. Well just have to see if that still works next month when Canonical releases.
Tony From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com <chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com> on behalf of Fred <fredferickson at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 6:41:37 PM
To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Subject: [chirp_users] Chirp will not start in Fedora 31 nor 32 beta. Works fine in 30
Since I am mostly confined to home due to the restrictions caused by
the virus outbreak, I decided to up grade my Linux system from Fedora
30 to the current version which is Fedora 31.

After the upgrade, Chirp and a Solitary game which is written in Python
no longer worked so I upgraded to the new beta version Fedora 32. This
morning, the developers released an update which included many Python
changes which fixed the Solitary game but sadly, not Chirp.

So, maybe the Chirp developers will have the answer. Here is the output
of starting the 20200227 Chirp version with -v:

[fred at m5a97r2 chirp-daily]$ ./chirpw -v
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./chirpw", line 20, in <module>
    from chirp import chirp_common
  File "/home/fred/chirp/chirp-daily/chirp/chirp_common.py", line 979
    except errors.InvalidDataError, e:
                                  ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
[fred at m5a97r2 chirp-daily]$

The ~/.chirp/debug.log entries are dated 2020-03-14 which are from a
Chirp run before upgrading from Fedora 30.

A bit of an aside:
Is this a Python issue in Chirp or a missing Python 2 file in Fedora
32? I notice that when the command "dnf list --installed | grep python"
there is a python3.x86_64, but the python2 file is named
python27.x86_64. There is no python2.x86_64 file but there is in Fedora
30 a file python2.x86_64. Although, the which command shows both a
/usr/bin/python3 and a /usr/bin/python2 file exist in Fedora 32. There
are several link files in /usr/bin/ with python names that seem to be
new additions and probably sort all that out though.

Thanks for the help.

Fred

"Proverbs don't get to be proverbs by being wrong" - Me