[chirp_users] Yaesu

benton at siletzbay.com
Tue Mar 17 19:04:25 PDT 2020

On 2020-03-17 08:52, Dennis Wage wrote:

> Is there any documented cases of Chirp bricking a radio so badly it had to be sent back for a factory restore.
>
> I see so many Yaesu users bring this up that they're afraid to use Chirp because it will break a radio bad enough to void warranty etc. etc...

I've used Chirp many times with my FT-60 w/o so much as a sneeze.

Back in the day, speculation was these stories were circulated by Yaesu
due to their partnership with RTS.  I know HRO sold bare 'Kenwood'
cables but for my FT-60 I had to buy a cable with the RTS software for
$40 - $50.  SW was useless to me, me being a Linux guy (and back then
w/o a Win VM.)

And at that, I later found the cable wouldn't work with one of the
wx-resistant Yaesu models -- the overmolding wouldn't fit down into the
programming socket.

Benton 17mar2020
--
NX7O