[chirp_users] Chirp program

Jim Unroe
Wed Jun 24 05:11:31 PDT 2020

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 4:10 AM George Piek <georgepiek7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good day to you, I am using Chirp for programming my UV 5 R Baofeng Radio. Suddenly when I request to "Download from Radio" I receive the message " Not enough data" Why would that be please. I have used it before and had no problems.
>
> Regards
> George

Hi George,

>From the information you have provided, I am going to guess that you
may be selecting the wrong model. Here's why.

There is no CHIRP driver for any radio model that provides a " Not
enough data" message to the user. The word "enough" doesn't even show
up in any message for any radio driver module. So looking through all
of the Baofeng radio driver modules for messages that contain both
"not" and "data" I find "baofeng_common.py". It contains the following
message: "Error reading data from radio: not the amount of data we
want." Assuming this message is the actual message that you are
seeing, this allows me to get a list of all radio driver modules that
use "baofeng_common.py". They are as follows.

baofeng_wp970i.py
gmrsuv1.py
mursv1.py
uv6r.py
uv5x3.py

>From the above list only "baofeng_wp970i.py" and "uv6r.py" use the
Vendor: Baofeng selection. Assuming that "UV 5 R" means "UV-5R", if I
hook up a UV-5R and choose Vendor: Baofeng and Model: UV-6R, I get the
"Error reading data from radio: not the amount of data we want."
message (screen capture attached).

Since the "UV-5R" and "UV-6R" selections are visually similar, I think
you may accidentally be choosing "UV-6R" instead of choosing "UV-5R".