[chirp_users] Retevis 22 programming question

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
Thu Jun 18 08:47:48 PDT 2020

Rebecca,

I don't even know how you've done what I think you're saying you did.
Motorola VX261 isn't supported by CHIRP. How did you do this?

Please read the GUIDE here:
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Beginners_Guide

I would first save an img file before using CHIRP so that if a problem
develops, you upload that file to your radio and revert to original factory
settings.

With 22 radios, being the cautious type, I would make 22 img files and
temporarily label each radio - if they have serial numbers, that would be a
good thing to note on the file name of the img file you down from the
radio.  Then I'd check to see if each img file agrees exactly with the
others,  some manufacturers have switched firmware and the different
firmware radios img files differ and are NOT compatible.  Of course,
sometimes they are.  I'd run a MD5SUM byte check of the files.

If you're running Windows, there is a md5 program here:
https://www.winmd5.com/  You should check each img file that you download,
and see that the md5sum computation is the same,

It's a pain to do 22 radios, but if the img files are not the same, you
might run into incompatibility problems including making a radio
non-functioning (dead, or bricked.)

There is a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) article here:
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/FAQ

In the FAQ it says there's a way to add your group's frequencies:

*Can I add new stock configurations?*
Yes! Adding your group's frequency plan to the stock configurations can
make it very quick and easy to program new radios. Further, putting various
configurations into the stock list can make switching your radio between
multiple functions or geographical regions easy. Simply save a CSV file
into the stock configurations directory and restart CHIRP to have it show
up in the list. On windows, go to Start -> Run and type:

APPDATA\CHIRP\stock_configs

On MacOS or Linux, the path is:

~/.chirp/stock_configs

I would do that if I had to program 22 radios, and if the frequency lists
changed, I'd change that file and use that file as the stock frequency
list.  It's a way some people use to program many different type radios for
frequencies used by various organizations like amateur radio clubs where
members each have their different type radio.

Best wishes in your efforts,

David N1EA