[chirp_users] BF-F8TD confirmation with chirp

Jim Unroe
Wed Jun 3 14:18:18 PDT 2020

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 4:58 PM Stefan Halvorsen via chirp_users
<chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:

> I ordered the kid from Amazon that included the TIDRADIO "version" of what I believe is the BF-F8HP because it's 8 watt high, 4watt medium, and 1 watt low.
> I can confirm that the cable in the kits labeled it had FTDI chip worked with chirp, and my Linux machine running Linux mint 19.3.
> I did have to run chmod command before chirp had access to the USB0. Without the command it says access denied in chirp when I try to clone from radio.
> I followed protocol of how to plug in and in what order and it was able to download from radio with no issue. Max volume on radio.
> Also, I was able to select BF-F8HP as the device and was able to set power levels for each freq in low/Med/high.
> I was able to successfully download program to radio.
> I have no way to measure transmit power to know if it's actually 8 watt or actually has 3 power levels, since I haven't gotten my license yet and am just listening while I study. I also have no device to measure.
> I have heard that some shady companies are marketing these radios as 3 power levels and 8 watts on high and some hacking firmware to show 3 levels but only transmitting 4 watt on medium and high. But it does seem legit.
> TIDRADIO told me this was their OEM version of the BF-F8HP.
> BF-F8HP seems to be the BTech oem version.
>
> But I wanted to confirm that, at least with my Linux distro Linux mint 19.3 and chmod command, I was able to download to chirp and select the BF-F8HP as the model to set 3 power levels on frequencies.
>
> I will try on my windows machine but the way I see it, if it works on my Linux machine then it'll easily work on windows.

Hi Stefan,

This is as expected. Pretty much all Baofeng UV-5R like radios with 3
power settings (HIGH, MID, LOW) use the Baofeng / BF-F8HP as the
Vendor / Model selection. You radio has been added to the Supported
Radio Models list.