[chirp_users] Fw: No USB Port Error

Pat Anderson
Wed Jun 3 09:10:30 PDT 2020

Try this, AFTER the programming cable is plugged in. The reason is that the
chip is IN  the programming cable , and the dev/tty(whatever) USB device
does not EXIST until the system finds the chip in the cable.

On  my Ubuntu  (16.04LTS), it does not matter if it is an FTDI or a fake
Prolific chip in the cable, they all work. First, find out what ttyUSB
device now shows up in /dev with this command in the terminal:

ls /dev/tty*

For me, this results is:

 /dev/ttyUSB0

Now the critical part, if  I  don't do this CHIRP will find the device but
throw and error when I try to read from or write to the radio :

sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0 (that is a zero on the end).

This makes the device readable and writable. CHIRP will now find this
device  and you will be able to read from and write to the radio. I have to
do this every time I use CHIRP, even though I am a member of the dialout
group.

I have been using CHIRP in Ubuntu Linux for years, and this is what WORKS.

Pat Anderson
KD7OAC