[chirp_users] chirp connecting to UV-5R from Ubuntu 16.04 on Lenovo Carbon X1

Aubrey Turner
Mon Feb 17 07:41:15 PST 2020

Just out of curiosity, why did you choose to run such an old
distribution (16.04) of Ubuntu on a relatively new laptop?

I just happened to receive a marketing email from Lenovo this morning
(I've bought a few PCs from them in the past) that included the Carbon
X1 Gen 7 and I looked it up.  It has USB 3.1 ports (2x Gen 2 Type-C with
Thunderbolt and 2x Gen 1).  I'd think that you'd need the latest
possible version of Ubuntu (and the Linux kernel) to support this laptop.

Looking at the Ubuntu certification page for the Carbon X1, it shows as
having been tested with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64-bit.

Your symptoms (device appears, disappears, works sometimes but not
others) could be due to instability in the underlying kernel support for
the motherboard and/or USB controllers.

Another issue to investigate is the use of USB 3.1 ports.  In the past
there have been issues with USB 3 ports causing RF interference with
devices that are connected.  This mostly manifests with wireless
keyboards and mice, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was an issue
here.  The common fix is to use a USB extension cable to move the USB
device away from the port.