[chirp_users] chirp connecting to UV-5R from Ubuntu 16.04 on Lenovo Carbon X1

Kheong Sann CHAN
Mon Feb 17 05:36:44 PST 2020

Thanks for the info. You are correct that something is intermittent. I
followed the steps here:
https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2013/11/how_to_install_the_baofeng_usb_programming_cable_and_software_1.html

and managed to get the download from the UV-5R working once. But after
disconnecting, rebooting and trying again, I am no longer able to download
from the radio getting
[Errno 16] could not open port /dev/ttyUSB0:
[Errno 16] Device or resource busy: '/dev/ttyUSB0'

The output of
$ users
kheong

and

$ groups
kheong adm dialout cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare

I don't have access to anybody else's cable, I'm in Singapore right and I
don't know any ham's around here. I'm thinking to buy another cable, but
with this corona virus thing, it may take a long time for merchandise to
arrive from China.

This setup, (the radios and cable) I bought many years ago and I was able
to get it working back then on a different computer. But then I put it into
storage until this COVID-2019 thing flared up recently causing people to
panic-buying and I felt I should get my radios out of the closet and make
sure everything is working properly again. Maybe after sitting in storage
so long, the cable has deteriorated....