[chirp_users] BTech 5X3

Dawn K
Thu Dec 31 12:41:18 PST 2020

I received my UV-5x3 two days ago. It is specifically from BTech. It came
with a well written manual. I have been able after programing it in Chirp
to get NOAA. It was down for 12 hours though due to weather. I have barely
heard anything on mine. This is only a 5w unit. I will probably have to go
up on the hill in my town to see how what I can actually receive. I am
hitting two repeaters just no traffic. I purchased a better antenna, a
triband so I don't have to swap out antennas.

 I am awaiting another better antenna, 39",  with a ground base, and a
magnetic vehicle base. I am hoping if I have someone drives me around I
will be able to hit more repeaters.

 How far are you from the closest repeater ? Have you tried going to a
higher part of town ? There may he an obstruction. A 5 watt HT with a duck
antenna doesn't have the ability to do what a base or mobile unit with a
big antenna and 50 watts can do.

If there is a specific question, I would he glad to tell you what the
manual says.

It's strange you didn't get a manual. Did you get it from BTech ? It may be
a knockoff. The Beofeng 888's I bought to keep for emergencies were either
knockoffs or from Beofeng in China instead of BTech that  based in the US.

The Beofeng 888s came with a cable and a CD, I have read those aren't
genuine cables. But I already had a genuine cable that I bought with the
UV-5x3.

I programed the 888s (4 of them) in Chirp within minutes. It's a really
easy to use software once you get the hang of it. Make sure you create an
image of the radio and save it so you can go back to "factory" settings if
you need to..

Here is a link to a PDF version of the UV-5x3 manual.

https://baofengtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/uv-5x3-manual.pdf