[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5RA...lost first words

James Keener jim at jimkeener.com
Sat Apr 4 12:41:16 PDT 2020


There is also a setting that will check the other frequency on the display every few seconds. The tdr setting iirc.

On April 4, 2020 3:30:41 PM EDT, Nick G4IRX <g4irx9 at nowindows.net> wrote:
>Is this being caused by the battery saver setting? If the receiver is 
>asleep it may be a second before it wakes up and opens the squelch.
>
>Try adjusting Basic Settings -> battery saver and see if you notice any
>
>difference for the different values.
>
>73
>Nick
>
>On 04/04/2020 00:30, David wrote:
>> No repeater, direct.
>>
>> David
>>
>> On 4/3/2020 11:32 AM, Bill Riess via chirp_users wrote:
>>> I didn't see if the original message said this was via a repeater or
>direct.
>>> If via a repeater, realize some repeaters have a slight delay,
>especially if the carrier is allowed to drop between transmissions
>and/or it uses PL/DPL. Some dual mode repeaters (analog/digital) can
>exhibit this behavior. Also, at least one repeater in my area has a
>delay (1-2 seconds) on the first transmission in a conversation to
>discourage "pinging" the repeater.
>>>
>>> Bill Riess
>>> KW9WR at ARRL.net
>>> AKA: (Bill at Riess.us)
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com
><chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com> On Behalf Of
>chirp_users-request at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 14:00 PM
>>> To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> Subject: chirp_users Digest, Vol 136, Issue 1
>>>
>>> Send chirp_users mailing list submissions to
>>> 	chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>
>>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>> 	http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>> 	chirp_users-request at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>
>>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>> 	chirp_users-owner at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>
>>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>than "Re: Contents of chirp_users digest..."
>>>
>>>
>>> Today's Topics:
>>>
>>>      1. Baofeng UV-5RA...lost first words (Bill Card)
>>>      2. Re: Baofeng UV-5RA...lost first words (Ray Hutchinson)
>>>      3. Re: Replying to the list with a new (Dennis Wage)
>>>      4. Re: Replying to the list with a new (W Paul Mills)
>>>      5. Re: Replying to the list with a new (David)
>>>      6. Re: Replying to the list with a new (D.J.J. Ring, Jr.)
>>>      7. email / forum etiquette (NE1EE - Rich)
>>>      8. Re: email / forum etiquette (Richard Shaw)
>>>      9. Re: email / forum etiquette (NE1EE - Rich)
>>>
>>>
>>>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 1
>>> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 12:31:42 -0700
>>> From: Bill Card <willardscard at gmail.com>
>>> Subject: [chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5RA...lost first words
>>> To: Post to Chirp Mailing List <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
>>> Message-ID:
>>>
>	<CADT+LLuCbHczz1Bf67nK2Tj7xOYT3xzZszfCXOL8heJc4-2MtQ at mail.gmail.com>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>>>
>>> This is relating to the discussion about...
>>>
>>>>> "I am using a UV-5RA and it has about a sec delay before I hear
>the
>>> other person talk is this normal or is there a setting someplace
>that I can change? A real pain as it cuts off the other persons one or
>2 first words."
>>>
>>> I've followed the discussion but haven't seen anyone mention that,
>if the other person in your communication is using VOX, you'll lose the
>first few words of his/her transmission. When I used to use it with CBs
>on motorcycles, we had to blow into the mic, wait a second, then
>transmit to avoid loss of the first few words.
>>>
>>> So it might not be your radio at all.
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>> URL:
>http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20200331/8ae9763d/attachment-0001.html
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 2
>>> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 19:55:29 +0000 (UTC)
>>> From: Ray Hutchinson <rdhutch at pacbell.net>
>>> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5RA...lost first words
>>> To: Post to Chirp Mailing List <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
>>> Message-ID: <775894566.1962839.1585684529781 at mail.yahoo.com>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>>>
>>>    Another thought.? If this phenomenon of missing the first couple
>of words happens when communication with a paticular individual, then
>perhaps that individual is "Quick Keying", or not fully engaging the
>PTT on their radio before speaking.? If this seems to be the case,
>encourage them to consciously be sure they're pressing the PTT and
>pausing slightly before speaking.? This is often a problem with newer
>or inexperienced operators in the Ham world
>>> 73 de Ray, AE6H, WQXK637
>>>       On Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 12:33:37 PM PDT, Bill Card
><willardscard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>    
>>>    This is relating to the discussion about...
>>>>> "I am using a UV-5RA and it has about a sec delay before I hear
>the other person talk is this normal or is there a setting someplace
>that I can change? A real pain as it cuts off the other persons one or
>2 first words."
>>> I've followed the discussion but haven't seen anyone mention that,
>if the other person in your communication is using VOX, you'll lose the
>first few words of his/her transmission. When I used to use it with CBs
>on motorcycles, we had to blow into the mic, wait a second, then
>transmit to avoid loss of the first few words.
>>> So it might not be your radio at
>all._______________________________________________
>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>> This message was sent to Ray at rdhutch at pacbell.net To unsubscribe,
>send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>> URL:
>http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20200331/8221fcdd/attachment-0001.html
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 3
>>> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 15:34:47 -0500
>>> From: Dennis Wage <dwage at dwage.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Replying to the list with a new
>>> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
>>> Message-ID:
>>>
>	<CAE1d062UJSV7m6Nw1Um5S29K_Loz5MdeJVryfqaWjOXVsNZFLQ at mail.gmail.com>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>>>
>>> I don't even want to know, why you are trying to reinvent the wheel.
>>>
>>> Dennis M. Wage (W9BOQ)
>>>
>>> 245 Corum Hill Road
>>> Castalian Springs, TN 37031
>>> (615) 310-4242 Cell
>>> (615) 562-5128 Home
>>> http://hammondb3organ.net
>>> http://overdubs.net
>>>
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 10:23 AM NE1EE - Rich <NE1EE at hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>>>
>>>> David asked if I got a new thread...so I logged into the email
>package
>>>> to see. NO...my "new" subject is under a thread of Yaesu FT-7100
>>>>      Baofeng UV-5RA
>>>> showing the hijacked message
>>>>
>>>> My message appears in the same 5RA thread.
>>>> I was under the impression that, though the standard called out the
>>>> use of In-Reply-To, it was rarely used. Not the case here, as the
>mail
>>>> package correctly identified the thread. I suppose that has some
>>>> usefulness, because someone could preserve the thread and change
>the
>>>> subject, providing a clue to someone of the thread content.
>>>>
>>>> So ...
>>>> You need to start a new message.
>>>> Mike, WB4TTZ
>>>>
>>>> is entirely correct. I'm glad I ran the test and got the answer to
>a
>>>> pending question in my mind, though I didn't know how to find it.
>>>> Thanks Mike!
>>>> ~R~
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>>> This message was sent to Dennis Wage at dwage at dwage.com To
>>>> unsubscribe, send an email to
>>>> chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>>
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>> URL:
>http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20200331/f4b8ef6e/attachment-0001.html
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 4
>>> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 17:18:27 -0500
>>> From: W Paul Mills <ac0hy at wpmills.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Replying to the list with a new
>>> To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> Message-ID: <5d544d7a-bafc-4d2d-ab92-51f6ec71d6b3 at wpmills.com>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>>>
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>> URL:
>http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20200331/ae61daa4/attachment-0001.html
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 5
>>> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 18:16:03 -0500
>>> From: David <weather at lightingunlimited.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Replying to the list with a new
>>> To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> Message-ID:
>>> 	<8f4bd56b-06fa-e5df-8d86-c75b0491c896 at lightingunlimited.com>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
>>>
>>> Ok another question,
>>>
>>> If I am responding to a post do I use "reply" or do I use "reply
>list"?
>>> I use Thunderbird for email.
>>>
>>> David
>>>
>>> On 3/31/2020 10:21 AM, NE1EE - Rich wrote:
>>>> David asked if I got a new thread...so I logged into the email
>package
>>>> to see. NO...my "new" subject is under a thread of Yaesu FT-7100
>>>>       Baofeng UV-5RA
>>>> showing the hijacked message
>>>>
>>>> My message appears in the same 5RA thread.
>>>> I was under the impression that, though the standard called out the
>use of In-Reply-To, it was rarely used. Not the case here, as the mail
>package correctly identified the thread. I suppose that has some
>usefulness, because someone could preserve the thread and change the
>subject, providing a clue to someone of the thread content.
>>>>
>>>> So ...
>>>> You need to start a new message.
>>>> Mike, WB4TTZ
>>>>
>>>> is entirely correct. I'm glad I ran the test and got the answer to
>a pending question in my mind, though I didn't know how to find it.
>Thanks Mike!
>>>> ~R~
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>>> This message was sent to Dave at weather at lightingunlimited.com To
>>>> unsubscribe, send an email to
>>>> chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 6
>>> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 20:25:05 -0400
>>> From: "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea at arrl.net>
>>> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Replying to the list with a new
>>> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
>>> Message-ID:
>>>
>	<CADO5RbjFDY7THRdJ+yuKV-zE2xqTQhJxZ2d8ZNU9MKR+_ZSFFw at mail.gmail.com>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> Administrators can set the lists up so that replies go to the
>author, or to the list, or both, or "user decides" - moments ago I just
>set my googlegroups list to "user decides" because if I don't set it
>that way the author's email address is hidden - even from me - the list
>owner!
>>>
>>> Email lists are strange.  Gmail doesn't send you back your own
>posts, which was the original setting "way" back in 1980s when everyone
>was on a 300 baud modem and phone lines. Conserve valuable bandwidth in
>those days.  Now sending you your own message takes a few milliseconds.
>>>
>>> I still use mutt and thunderbird, both have "bounce" functions
>because sometimes my list subscribers think they have to send their
>emails to me for forwarding to the list.  Bouncing an email makes it
>look like it was sent by the original sender to the final addressee -
>which in my case is always the email list, but it can be abused to fool
>people, Person A sends me and email, I bounce it to Person B and Person
>B thinks it was sent directly from Person A.  You can see it came
>through me if you look at the headers.
>>>
>>> I did have my email list set up that way in 1994 when I started that
>list as a "one way" email list.  Finally when google announced it was
>doing free lists, I jumped at the chance.  I also printed newsletters
>using a Commodore 64 and GeoPublish - wow that's going back some.
>>>
>>> 73
>>> DR
>>> N1EA
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 7:16 PM David
><weather at lightingunlimited.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Ok another question,
>>>>
>>>> If I am responding to a post do I use "reply" or do I use "reply
>list"?
>>>> I use Thunderbird for email.
>>>>
>>>> David
>>>>
>>>> On 3/31/2020 10:21 AM, NE1EE - Rich wrote:
>>>>> David asked if I got a new thread...so I logged into the email
>>>>> package
>>>> to see. NO...my "new" subject is under a thread of
>>>>> Yaesu FT-7100
>>>>>       Baofeng UV-5RA
>>>>> showing the hijacked message
>>>>>
>>>>> My message appears in the same 5RA thread.
>>>>> I was under the impression that, though the standard called out
>the
>>>>> use
>>>> of In-Reply-To, it was rarely used. Not the case here, as the mail
>>>> package correctly identified the thread. I suppose that has some
>>>> usefulness, because someone could preserve the thread and change
>the
>>>> subject, providing a clue to someone of the thread content.
>>>>> So ...
>>>>> You need to start a new message.
>>>>> Mike, WB4TTZ
>>>>>
>>>>> is entirely correct. I'm glad I ran the test and got the answer to
>a
>>>> pending question in my mind, though I didn't know how to find it.
>>>> Thanks Mike!
>>>>> ~R~
>>>>>
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>>>> This message was sent to Dave at weather at lightingunlimited.com To
>>>>> unsubscribe, send an email to
>>>> chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>>> This message was sent to D.J.J. Ring, Jr. at n1ea at arrl.net To
>>>> unsubscribe, send an email to
>>>> chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>>
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>> URL:
>http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20200331/bae9c9ea/attachment-0001.html
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 7
>>> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 13:17:47 -0400
>>> From: NE1EE - Rich <NE1EE at hotmail.com>
>>> Subject: [chirp_users] email / forum etiquette
>>> To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> Message-ID:
>>>
>	<DM5PR0701MB38138C9C831C5B464F5BF75CF5C90 at DM5PR0701MB3813.namprd07.prod.outlook.com>
>>> 	
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>>>
>>> Well, I often see breaches of etiquette. The most serious of these
>is hijacked threads. I find it nearly impossible sometimes to find what
>I am looking for, because a thread with subject A will really be about
>subject B.
>>>
>>> So maybe we could have some sort of monthly reminder email, with
>explanations?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ~R~
>>> 73 de Rich NE1EE
>>> On the banks of the Piscataqua
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 8
>>> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 09:25:11 -0500
>>> From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] email / forum etiquette
>>> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
>>> Message-ID:
>>>
>	<CAN3TeO0PvgqaMjJMhyX7y3XzmeLde5aD=7ZA6Es=gU3Un_QnSA at mail.gmail.com>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>>>
>>> On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 8:50 AM NE1EE - Rich <NE1EE at hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>>>
>>>> So maybe we could have some sort of monthly reminder email, with
>>>> explanations?
>>>>
>>> A gentile but direct reminder is more effective I think, but it
>wouldn't hurt to reference the full list once a breach is noted (for
>everyone).
>>>
>>> This list seems pretty complete:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/MailingListEtiquette
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Richard
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>> URL:
>http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20200401/33a7d2fb/attachment-0001.html
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 9
>>> Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 10:44:29 -0400
>>> From: NE1EE - Rich <NE1EE at hotmail.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] email / forum etiquette
>>> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
>>> Message-ID:
>>>
>	<DM5PR0701MB3813EB70EB65B674221BEC02F5C90 at DM5PR0701MB3813.namprd07.prod.outlook.com>
>>> 	
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>>>
>>> Gosh! Thanks for being kind about that! I think that I am too
>outspoken, and I actually meant to delete the email. I was momentarily
>stunned when I saw a post with exactly the same subject!
>>>
>>> Yes...I like what you have recommended. I used to have a link to
>something similar, but then the web page went away.
>>>
>>> Saay...what's up here? I feel cheated <grin> Instructions For
>Specific Clients No Eudora!
>>>
>>> Again, thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated, and I have
>bookmarked it.
>>>
>>> ~Rich~
>>>
>>> On 2020-04-01 09:25:-0500, you wrote:
>>>> On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 8:50 AM NE1EE - Rich
><<mailto:NE1EE at hotmail.com>NE1EE at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> So maybe we could have some sort of monthly reminder email, with
>explanations?
>>>>
>>>> A gentile but direct reminder is more effective I think, but it
>wouldn't hurt to reference the full list once a breach is noted (for
>everyone).
>>>>
>>>> This list seems pretty complete:
>>>>
>>>>
><https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/MailingListEtiquette>https://wiki.open
>>>> stack.org/wiki/MailingListEtiquette
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Richard
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>> To unsubscribe, send an email to
>chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>
>>> End of chirp_users Digest, Vol 136, Issue 1
>>> *******************************************
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>> This message was sent to Dave at weather at lightingunlimited.com
>>> To unsubscribe, send an email to
>chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>> _______________________________________________
>> chirp_users mailing list
>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>> This message was sent to Nick G4IRX at g4irx9 at nowindows.net
>> To unsubscribe, send an email to
>chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>
>_______________________________________________
>chirp_users mailing list
>chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>This message was sent to Jim K at jim at jimkeener.com
>To unsubscribe, send an email to
>chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com

-- 
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20200404/7b2fd29c/attachment-0002.html 


More information about the chirp_users mailing list