[chirp_users] Recommendations on "under $400.00" hand-held

NE1EE - Rich
Tue Apr 21 13:32:56 PDT 2020

On 2020-04-21 23:12:+0300, you wrote:
>I am still using my motorola maxtrac that was manufactured in the 70's!!

There is something to be said for not upgrading unless you want to, and then there is the attraction of some of the newer inexpensive gear. But I still use my Radio Shack HTX-202 (1990s?). Bought it new, and don't regret it. RS made some good, if unattractive, gear. It is a solid performer, but old enough that it does not play well with the new radio management software. I still use it for dedicated ops, like and APRS & up/downlink for high alt balloon missions. That way I don't tie up another radio for that, and I can count on its solid signal to control the instrument package @ 35km. But I admit that my BaoFeng are great for supporting local volunteer ops, especially when I can exchange an event-specific chirp image with the group, and we can all be on the same page. I just cart along my laptop, and sync all our radios.

I still use my TS-830 for HF, and though I know it doesn't have all the DSP bells and whistles, it sure works nicely on phone and CW.