[chirp_users] Recommendations on "under $400.00" hand-held

Christopher Knowles
Tue Apr 21 07:54:54 PDT 2020

Get a Baofeng UV-XR.  It's handheld, has a 10-watt - 5watt - 1watt power
range, a 4800 maH battery, and can be had for around $50.  I've had mine
ever since I got my Amateur Extra license (October 2018) and it has
never given me a lick of trouble.  In addition to the antenna that comes
with it, I use a mobile antenna mounted on the housing of my air
conditioner in the window of my 2nd floor master bedroom and a Ringo
Ranger just inside the same window.  I can switch between the two with a
switch mounted on my drafting table where I sit when I'm on the radio.