[chirp_users] HELP!

Jim Unroe
Thu Sep 5 19:21:12 PDT 2019

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 9:58 PM Ted Smith <info at pikespeakparagliding.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> You guys probably get this all the time, but now it’s my turn.
> I have been using CHIRP with my Baofeng radios for the past couple of years with no problem.
> I recently had to upgrade my Mac OS to 10.11. Now I can’t get CHIRP to talk to my radios.
> I assume it is because the drivers are wrong or something. I have tried downloading the Prolific drivers. No luck so far.
> There used to be a pl2303 option on the drop down menu when I was uploading/ downloading. It isn’t there anymore.
> I’m not sure what to do at this point.
> Please help, I’m begging.
> Thanks,
> -Ted

Hi Ted,

My son-in-law gave me a MacBook Air a couple of months ago. I'm not a
Mac user so I decided that my first project would be to see if I could
get CHIRP running on it.

Most of my programming cables were furnished with the radios so
virtually every one of the freebies has a counterfeit USB-to-TTL chip
in it. So I knew up front that using device driver from the Prolific
website was out of the question. I also have a homebrew programming
cable that has a Silicon Labs chip and a few programming cables with
FTDI chips.

So what I did was to purchase and install a 3rd party device driver
from Repleo. It works for programming cables with Prolific PL2303
chips, WCH CH341 chips and Silicon Labs CP2102 chips. They want 7.90
euros for it which at the time I bought it came to $9.11 USD.

https://www.mac-usb-serial.com/

I used the native Apple driver for my programming cables with FTDI chips.