[chirp_users] CHIRP on py3

Barry Jackson
Mon Oct 21 03:06:10 PDT 2019

On 17/10/2019 14:41, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 3:53 PM Barry Jackson <zen25000 at zen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have tried to build from py3 branch but hit lots of syntax errors,
>> mainly except and print missing brackets. (output attached)
>>

> The exception problem is quite easily fixed, see:
>
> https://docs.python.org/3.3/howto/pyporting.html
>
> Basically they need to be changed from:
>
> except Exception, e:

> except Exception as e:
>
> The 2to3 conversion program can do this automatically or you can try your
> and with sed :)

Thanks, I had already created a patch to fix the except errors, but then
decided it was going to be a long haul so stopped there.

I had not heard about 2to3, it worked perfectly and fixed all the syntax
issues.

I then hit what appeared to be a dependency issue, but totally unrelated
to Linux, so after patching that out of the sources I now have a working
package which installs and runs as far as the GUI.

I will add the remaining console error messages in another mail later
with news of further testing, and my current patches in case they may be
useful.

Cheers,
Barry
G4MKT