[chirp_users] Fwd: Baofeng BF-R3

Gary or Coleen Ferguson
Sat Oct 19 20:38:07 PDT 2019

I am a rank novice at this so I'm only guessing and I was in a hurry.  The
BF-R3 will be a backup to the BF-F8HP for me but it does have 3 bands, UHF,
VHF and a 1.5 meter band between them.  It even comes with two antennas...
one for UHF/VHF and one for the middle band.  Not that I understand the
antenna scheme.  It's max power is 5W compared to 8W for the BF-F8HP but
sometimes it pays to have a back-up plus it might be helpful to have the
third band, I guess? Oh, and another plus, it comes with the huge battery.

I, also don't know, if I tried to download a program with repeaters in the
other bands if it would work or not.  They both have the same first two
letters, BF... instead of U* but I doubt that means much.  I'm glad that it
worked though.

FWIW... there's more to this story... I actually ordered the BF-R3 first...
and in parallel, tried to download the programming software from the
AMZN-seller (didn't know about CHIRP yet).  When I tried to go the seller's
URL, Google came back with a RED BOX warning that the website was dangerous
so I started searching for other software and found CHIRP.  In parallel
with that I decided to order a BF-F8HP too, mainly since it was sold by
Baoteng directly and listed on CHIRP's radios.  I sorta planned to return
the -R3 at some point since I did not have compatible software but now will
probably keep it.

Now if CHIRP starts supporting the -R3 in the future, I'm in even better
shape.... CHIRP is amazing!  I can't imagine trying to stay compatible with
so many radio options, frequency options, formats and technology advances.

Gary.