[chirp_users] CHIRP and OS X Catalina

Jim Allyn
Sun Nov 24 21:35:57 PST 2019

On 11/24/19 7:15 PM, Jean-Paul Louis via chirp_users wrote:
> Hello CHIRP developers,
>
> Is there any hope for us OS X users to have CHIRP working natively.

      I don't run MacOS, but I believe what I have heard is that the
reason it doesn't run on Mac is that MacOS only comes with Python3.x now
(no idea why), and chirp is written in Python2.x. In Linux you can have
more than one version of Python installed. I use Linux Mint, which comes
with both Python 2.x and 3.x.  I have one program that requires
Python3.7, and I have that installed, too.  I start that program from
the command line with "python3.7 <program_name>", only because I haven't
yet bothered to add that to the menu or add an icon on the desktop.  I
can't imagine that the same thing can't be done on Mac, and a quick web
search turned up this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34680228/switch-between-python-2-7-and-python-3-5-on-mac-os-x