[chirp_users] Baofeng Uv59 Prolific cable.

Jim Unroe
Mon Nov 4 05:16:52 PST 2019

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 7:33 PM Dennis Wage <dwage at dwage.com> wrote:

> I am trying to make a home brew cable for chirp for the Yeasu ft2900.
>
> I have an old prolific uv5r that's already been cut in half. Inside are a red, white and black wire.
>
> If any one knows what the red, black and white wires in a prolific uv59 cable are for email me off list please.
>
> The 2900 only needs data and ground, and I know which pins of the rj12 they go to.
>
> Dennis M. Wage (W9BOQ)

Hi Dennis,

You probably won't need any of the existing wire. On many programming
cables the USB end has a cover that can be easily separated and
removed. That will give you access to 4 outputs of the USB UART.

5V
TxD
RxD
Gnd

>From there you will have to build an small bit of circuitry that
combines the 4 down to the 2 required for the radio.

RX/TX
Gnd

After googling I see a circuit uses for (4) 2N7000 transistors and (4)
4.7k resistors to do the job. There may be others.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/diy-make-your-own-programming-cable-ftdi-cable-for-1-50.502031/

Good luck with the project and tell us how it works out.