[chirp_users] Elementary help for novice requested!

Dan Clemmensen
Fri May 31 11:55:42 PDT 2019

Hi, David. The CHIRP community sometimes makes assumptions about what you
already know, and we are sometimes wrong. I think you need to adjust your
mental model of what is happening.  (If this is all obvious, I apologize.)
Here's a way to think about it.

CHIRP can handle many types of radio, and it also handles abstract "csv"
data files. Each type of radio has a unique type of "image" file that is
unique to that radio. The only type of file that you can upload to your
radio is an image file of your radio's type.

Each tab on the top of the CHIRP window is file of a specific type. You can
only upload to your radio if you are currently in a tab that matches your
radio's type.

Your current goal is to upload data from a particular abstract CSV file.
You cannot do this directly. Instead, you must start with an image file of
your radio's type. We recommend that you download from your radio to create
this file. Next, you can read in the abstract CSV file with the data you
want into another tab. Now, you can "import" the data you want from the CSV
file into the radio image file by any of several methods: see
    https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/CSV_HowTo
Now you have an image file of the type your radio is happy with and you can
upload it. You do this while you have your radio's image file tab selected,
not the CSV tab.