[chirp_users] Truth or Fiction

John Kemker
Fri May 24 15:27:17 PDT 2019

We're not talking about writing a new image of the firmware.  We're talking
about sending parameters to fit into a memory slot.  The memory slot
shouldn't leak over into another slot, the firmware shouldn't accept just
any kruft that's sent to it, and it should ALWAYS allow a reset to factory
defaults by the front panel.  Anything else is just poor programming
practice.

As far as good vs. fast vs. cheap, Yaesu is not the cheapest out there.  I
find it hard to believe that they don't have as good a software standard as
less-expensive brands.

Dan, I understand your 3 requirements.  I'm assuming that CHIRP is
performing at least some basic checks to make sure that the radio is the
one that they're expecting.  That leaves 1 and 3, or a combination of both.

--John E Kemker III