[chirp_users] Kenwood TH-K40E sniff the protocol

Dan Clemmensen
Wed May 8 13:54:08 PDT 2019

"Sniffing" a protocol is one of the steps for developing a new driver,
which means becoming a new CHIRP developer. It's fun but may be time
consuming. Project leader Dan Smith has a page for new developers at :
   https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Developers
I think I'm probably still the newest developer. I added a page on sniffing
at:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/DevelopersUSB_Sniffing_in_Linux
This particular method works if you are using a USB serial cable. Other
approaches are required for a "real" serial port cable or for any protocol
that is not a real or pseudo async serial protocol.  There are also
alternatives if you prefer to use Windows.
Another CHIRP user was able to use my sniffing page's instructions to sniff
a Yaesu FT-25, so the page must not be completely incomprehensible.

After you successfully capture a full protocol interaction, the next step
is to stare at the result to see if it looks like any of the protocols
CHIRP uses in any of the hundreds of radios already supported. CHIRP code
does not formally subdivide the radios based on the protocols, but there
are several obvious informal "families" of protocols. If you see a match,
look at the actual contents of the memory as conveyed by the protocol to
see if it looks like one of the radios that use that protocol, then find
that driver and see if you can tweak it to handle the new radio.