[chirp_users] Chirp (Not Responding) before uploading or downloading radio.

Dave B
Thu May 2 00:38:15 PDT 2019

On 01/05/2019 20:00, chirp_users-request at intrepid.danplanet.com wrote:
> Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 22:37:25 -0500
> From: Joshua Richardson <oilfieldradios at consultant.com>
> Subject: [chirp_users] Chirp (Not Responding) before uploading or
> 	downloading radio.
> To: "chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com"
> 	<chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
>
> About four days ago, my Chirp began acting strange.  It opened normally, and a profile opened normally.  But then, when I used the Alt+U command (and later using the menu options in the menu bar), Chirp went to (Not Responding) for about twenty seconds, after which the program resumed normal function.  The only time I experience this issue is when I am asking Chirp to Upload or Download a radio.
>
> I was using an older version of Chirp from December, as I loathe updating software.  I used the App menu in the Setting App to uninstall Chirp, and installed the latest version to no avail.  I then manually deleted the individual program files from its location in File Explorer and reinstalled.  I performed these two actions twice with no improvement.
> Then I used the Disk Cleanup tool in Windows, deleted temporary files, ran a Defrag, used the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image
> /ScanHealth, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, sfc/ scanner, and chkdsk C: /f.
> These actions all improved Windows performance as a whole, but I am still experiencing Chirp?s (Not Responding) issue.  This is only a minor inconvenience, but after eight months of using Chirp with zero issues, it concerns me that it just decided to start having a brain fart one day.
> What further diagnosis steps can I take to prevent a complete system reset?  I?d like to not go through the process of a complete system restoration more than once a year.
>
> Any help is appreciated,
>
> Josh

Hi Josh.

Make sure Win 10 has not done something (updates?) to block the use of
any I/O adapters you use to connect to the radio.

Also, that any such adapters "show up" to the system as the same COM
port you expect.

Check using Device Manager.

If not, either tell Chirp the new assigned port, or use Windows own
tools within Device Manager, to nail it's feet to the ground, so that
the next time you plug it in, to the same USB hole, it'll show up the
same (so long as nothing else got there first!)

For example, (but not the only method):-

http://www.w1hkj.com/doku/doku.php?id=howto:taming_the_wild_comport_in_windows

Just identifying the current COM port the radio is attached to, and
using "That" new info, to tell Chirp what to use, should get you going,
if it used to work OK with that adapter+radio in the past.

If not, then there are other issues, possibly device driver related.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

PS:    Just so it is said, Linux etc can have the same/similar issues,
if anyone has experienced this sort of thing.  Again one needs to
identify what /dev/ttyUSBx device was assigned to the interface.  But,
in the case of FTDI based interfaces, you can reliably "Fix" the issue
using "udev rules".  But that is beyond the scope of this list.  PM me
if needed.  I'm not aware of any similar native facility in Windows.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software.
::