[chirp_users] Programming Yaesu Radios using CHIRP

Dan Clemmensen
Wed Mar 27 21:17:10 PDT 2019

There are a lot of Yaesu radios, and not all of them use the same
programming protocol. I'm only really familiar with the newer Yaesu HTs,
namely the FT-4 and FT-65. The protocol for these radios controls the
memory access fairly tightly, so accidentally writing into the wrong place
is unlikely. You can access memory you are not supposed to by writing
special software, but the CHIRP driver does not do this.  Older Yaesu
radios use a much cruder protocol and it is theoretically possible to mess
up and hit the wrong memory, but I don't personally have knowledge of this,
we will need to see who else responds.