[chirp_users] Radio did not respond Baofeng UV-82

Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
Thu Mar 21 17:06:01 PDT 2019

I believe it is usually the "dialout" group.

> On 21 March 2019 at 19:37 "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea at arrl.net> wrote:
>
>     Sam,
>
>     Please do this:
>
>     ls -l /dev/ ttyUSB0
>
>     Send back the output.
>
>     Also send back the output of this when you are using your user (regular) account:
>
>     groups
>
>     It is important that you are in the group that owns /dev/ttyUSB0
>
>     I'm not using Ubuntu but Arch Linux, but here is my output to show you:
>
>     ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
>     crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 188, 0 Mar 21 09:40 /dev/ttyUSB0
>
>     [djringjr at n1ea ~]$ groups
>     video uucp wheel djringjr
>
>     I've made uucp bold so you can see the important part.
>
>     I believe /dev/ttyUSB0 in Ubuntu is owned by root tty - don't change it!  Just make sure you are a member of whatever group that owns /dev/ttyUSB0.
>
>     Different distros handle devices slightly differently.  The point is that if you are executing CHIRP and you are not a member of the group that owns the /dev/ttyUSB0 device, it will not work.
>
>     To add a user to a group - whatever group owns the ttyUSB0 -
>
>     sudo adduser user group
>
>     Where user is your user name and group is the group that owns ttyUSB0
>

>     73
>     DR
>     N1EA

Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1 937 825 5032
Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF and GMRS WRBV701, e-mail nigel at ngunn.net www http://www.ngunn.net