[chirp_users] Radio did not respond Baofeng UV-82

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
Thu Mar 21 16:37:45 PDT 2019

Sam,

Please do this:

ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0

Send back the output.

Also send back the output of this when you are using your user (regular)
account:

groups

It is important that you are in the group that owns /dev/ttyUSB0

I'm not using Ubuntu but Arch Linux, but here is my output to show you:

ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root *uucp* 188, 0 Mar 21 09:40 /dev/ttyUSB0

[djringjr at n1ea ~]$ groups
video *uucp* wheel djringjr

I've made *uucp *bold so you can see the important part.

I believe /dev/ttyUSB0 in Ubuntu is owned by root tty - don't change it!
Just make sure you are a member of whatever group that owns /dev/ttyUSB0.

Different distros handle devices slightly differently.  The point is that
if you are executing CHIRP and you are not a member of the group that owns
the /dev/ttyUSB0 device, it will not work.

To add a user to a group - whatever group owns the ttyUSB0 -

sudo adduser user group

Where user is your user name and group is the group that owns ttyUSB0

73
DR
N1EA