[chirp_users] Radio did not respond Baofeng UV-82

sam walton
Tue Mar 19 20:15:26 PDT 2019

I have searched and tried all the troubleshooting steps I can find online.

I’ve made many attempts to get the chirp software to clone my Baofeng UV-82L. This is the latest.
I’ve bought a second cable that seemed to be recommended by Miklor.
Installed the latest chirp onto Ubuntu xfce.
When I connect the cable into USB I see this via
dmesg
usb 1-2: new full-speed USB deice number 6 using ohci-pci
New USB device found, idVendor=la86, idProduct=7523
New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
Product: USB2.0-Serial
ch341 1-2:1.0: ch341-uart converter detected
usb 1-2: ch341-uart converter now attached to ttyUSB0

That suggests to me that the computer recognizes the cable correctly and is assigned to USB0. Please correct me if I’ve made the wrong assesment.

After booting the chirpw program I have connected the other plug into the two ports of the radio, turned on the radio, turned the sound up. Set to the upper band.
Selecting USB0
Baofeng
UV-82L
Terminal reports Clone failed: Radio did not respond.
I have done every possible way to wrench that plug into the radio to see if it can possibly connect on each attempt to get it to initially clone.
Perhaps there’s something wrong with this three-year-old radio?

There is no debug.log in my home .chirp directory, just config files.
thx, sam