[chirp_users] UV-5R programing

Jim Unroe
Sun Mar 17 12:33:34 PDT 2019

> Hi Jim
>
> I am using the universal programmer (new_old) and it does not give the startup message nor will it let me edit the frequency range of the radio. It also doesn't report the firmware version. All I have is from pushing the 3 button when turning it on which doesn't really report the proper number anymore from what I have read.

Correct. This version does not access the upper memory that CHIRP does
to get the Welcome Message, band limits and squelch threshold
settings. The VIP version does. I would like to see if your radio
refuses to send the "aux memory" area to the VIP factory software. If
it doesn't, then we can figure out what it is doing that CHIRP isn't.

> Guess I can try one of the other versions.

The VIP software can be obtained from a link on the Miklor website.

http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-Software.php

> I was hoping there was a work around

Knowing how the VIP software behaves would help in this regard.