[chirp_users] New Python coming?

Dan Clemmensen
Mon Mar 4 14:41:11 PST 2019

Conversion to Python3 is a big issue, for Chirp and for many other
projects. A main underlying problem is that CHIRP depends on underlying
projects that have not converted. Nevertheless, The main CHIRP developer is
in fact working on a conversion. In addition to the CHIRP core, there are
also more than 100 separate driver modules to support different radios, and
it all must be converted. The developers of Python in their infinite wisdom
made changes that affect the semantics of many Python constructs, so all of
that stuff needs to be checked, more or less by hand. The average driver is
more that 500 lines of code, so there are more than 500,000 lines of code
to be checked just in the drivers. Perhaps the biggest changes in Python
affect the way strings are handled: Python 3 makes a distinction between
text strings and byte strings that did not exist in Python 2. But guess
what? serial I/O depends very heavily on the precise semantics of the
manipulation of byte strings, and each driver has its own unique serial I/O
code.  I am a very recent addition to the CHIRP development community, so
the best I could do initially was to make sure that the driver that I wrote
is compatible with both Python2 and Python 3.